Casa San Ysidro

The Gutiérrez/Minge House in Corrales, New Mexico

Scroll down

Prior to moving to Corrales, Ward Alan and Shirley Jolly Minge began accumulating scarce Hispanic New Mexican artifacts that would have otherwise been lost to time. To accommodate their growing collection, the Minges, in 1952 sought out the perfect location for their new home. They found a venerable old adobe house in the Village of Corrales located across the road from the Old San Ysidro Church. The church and the house are named for the patron saint of farming, San Ysidro Labrador. The property once belonged to the descendants of don Felipe Gutiérrez, recipient of the Bernalillo Township Grant in 1704.

Without delay, the Minges began a restoration and reconstruction project on the house, taking nearly four decades to achieve the present result which is a replication of an 18th century rancho complete with a small family chapel, a central plazuella and an enclosed corral area to the rear of the main dwelling.

The Gutiérrez home, dating from the 1870s, consisted of four rooms organized around a central hallway. This floor plan was characteristic of the Greek Revival style then popular in the eastern United States.


Looking from the Galleria through the Governor Connelly doors onto the courtyard portal and Grand Sala

Food Preparation

Food preparation at Casa San Ysidro All photographs by Damian Andrus

Hispanic and Anglo residents enthusiastically adopted the floor plan but built their version of our traditional adobe brick with flat roofs supported by vigas, creating a new "Territorial Style" of architecture which linked Spanish Colonial and American house types.

Sometime in the 1890s, the Gutiérrez family added two more rooms, bringing the total number to six and creating an L-shaped facade reminiscent once again of typical New Mexican homes of the Spanish Colonial period. This, then, was the extent of the house when the Minges acquired it in 1952. By 1954, the Minges had completely restored the original house, refurbishing its deteriorating walls and roof. They also added a kitchen portal and another room at the front of the house, restoring something of its original symmetry.


Although most couples would have been content to rest on their laurels at this point, the Minges found inspiration in the remains of stone wall footings found at the rear of the house. Between 1961 and 1967 the Minges built six more rooms, around a central plazuella recreating the ambiance of an 18th century rancho.

Each new addition to the house incorporated an ever increasing collection of objects and architectural elements. The collection of jergas (handwoven floor coverings) surpasses that of any other museum, and the depth and breadth of hand-forged Spanish Colonial iron implements is truly astonishing.

Preserving the house and artifacts as a coherent experience was Alan and Shirley Jolly Minge's passion and life-long devotion.

In 1997, The Albuquerque Museum acquired the Casa San Ysidro Collection from the Minges through donation and purchase. The Minges in turn donated the house and land to the Museum, creating what is now known as Casa San Ysidro: The Gutiérrez/Minge House.

Iron Tools and Implements

Iron tools and implements from the 19th Century From the Ward Alan & Shirley Jolly Minge Collection


Tin Nicho

Tin Nicho, Rio Abajo Workshop, c1885 Collected in Valencia County San Jose by Jose Benito Ortega, c1880


Casa San Ysidro remote is open limited hours.
Please call to verify.

The schedule varies seasonally.
Please call or visit the website for complete information.

Adults $4
Seniors (65+) $3
Students (13+) $3
Children $2

Call 505-898-3915

Thanks to John Grassham, Curator of History at the Allbuquerque Museum of Art and History

Originally appeared in
The Collector’s Guide to Albuquerque Metro Area - Volume 13

Collector’s Resources


The Albuquerque Museum | 505-243-7255
Cowboys & Indians Antiques | 505-255-4054

Santa Fe

Joan Caballero Appraisals PO Box 822, Santa Fe, NM | 505-982-8148
Montez Gallery / Montez + Santa Fe aka Heaven | 505-982-1828
Museum of International Folk Art | 505-476-1145
Nedra Matteucci Galleries | 505-982-4631
The Owings Gallery | 505-982-6244
New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors | 505-476-5200
Peyton Wright Gallery | 505-989-9888


Millicent Rogers Museum | 575-758-2462


©2014 | F + W Media
URL: • Contact The Collector's Guide